Supporting Herts offers housing-related support to drug and/or alcohol users within Hertfordshire.
We work in partnership with Druglink to support our service users to prevent homelessness by helping to achieve stable housing and aid recovery from drug and/or alcohol dependency. Our service covers the whole of Hertfordshire and our team works from two hubs:
East Hertfordshire: East Herts, Welwyn Hatfield, Broxbourne, North Herts and Stevenage
West Hertfordshire: St Albans, Dacorum, Watford, Three Rivers and Hertsmere
Supporting Herts supports people at different stages of their recovery and at different stages of housing need. The aim of the service is to support recovery and independence, prevent homelessness, help people achieve stable housing, as well as develop or sustain an individual’s capacity to live independently in accommodation.
We provide a range of housing facilities and services across Hertfordshire:
Floating support provides one-to-one outreach support to people who are experiencing substance misuse and housing problems. ‘Floating’ as the name suggests, means that an allocated outreach worker visits service users at their homes or at a convenient place in the community to provide housing-related support and help with recovering from drug and/or alcohol use.
Short stay accommodation – recovery beds
We provide seven recovery beds with shared facilities, in one houses based in Hertford for those in stable recovery who are leaving prison, detox or rehab or who are homeless. The aim of this service is to provide a short stay in a stable and structured environment.
Private Rented Sector scheme
The PRS scheme finds private landlords who are able to let their properties to Supporting Herts service users who would otherwise be homeless. In this scheme, we provide support both to the landlord and tenant. Service users in this scheme also receive regular support from our floating support workers.
How to access the service
Supporting Herts is for people aged 18 years and over in the Hertfordshire area who are experiencing drug and/or alcohol problems in conjunction with housing difficulties.
Referrals can be made by both the person experiencing housing issues with drug and/or alcohol problems, or by a professional working with them. The referrer must complete a Supporting Herts referral form, which can be downloaded from the bottom of this webpage or we can arrange for this to be sent via email or post.
The referral process varies depending on the type of support needed:
- For the floating support and Private Rented Sector scheme, anyone can refer for these services, including the person requiring the support and any professional or agency
- For the short term accommodation, the referral must be made by a professional within the criminal justice or drug and alcohol treatment system
- For the medium term accommodation, the referrals will be made by Supporting Herts staff in consultation with other professionals as these beds are for service users who have stayed in the recovery beds
You can send the referral form to Supporting Herts:
- By post to Supporting Herts, Devonshire Business Centres (UK) Ltd., Orion House, Bessemer Road, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire AL7 1HH
- By email at: email@example.com - please ensure that the referral is password protected and contact the referrals team by phone to inform them of your password
Devonshire Business Centres (UK) Ltd.
Welwyn Garden City
T: 0300 303 3147