Young People Sexual Health Volunteer
About the WDP Bewize Service
Bewize is a sexual health service for young people between the ages of 16-25 based in Redbridge.
How our service e supports young people’s sexual health in Redbridge;
We offer STI testing screens across the borough
Ensure clients are aware of the full range of contraceptive and sexual health services and methods available, including the take up of contraception.
Come correct C card registration and condom distribution to young people throughout the borough.
Sexual health awareness training for young people and staff in schools/colleges and youth clubs throughout the borough
About the role
As a sexual Health Volunteer, you will support the delivery of the Bewize service.
Duties will include:
- To assist in the coordination of the young people’s Chlamydia Screening Programme in the London Borough of Redbridge.
- To manage the communication of all client test results and efficiently record onto data based system
- To ensure client and partner notification for all positive test results are completed within contractual timeframes.
- To monitor the young people condom distribution scheme including distribution of condoms and c-cards to participating sites.
- To assist the service lead in planning and delivering programmes of high quality group experiences to young people which promote healthy relationships and sexual Health.
- To promote, refer and signpost young people and professionals working with young people to other local and national sexual health services and other wider support services that meet young people’s needs.
- To be responsible for the day-to-day administration and recording of the work using both written and electronic data systems and to regularly monitor and evaluate the outcomes of the work providing regular written reports on a timely basis.
To undertake other such duties as may be appropriate and relevant to the post as may be required from time to time.
In addition to the above you will be invited to participate in meetings where relevant and to carry out other tasks as deemed necessary to support the needs of the BeWize service.
What skills do I need?
The role would be ideal for someone looking to develop their experience in sexual health.
The following skill are essential for the role.
- Good spoken and written communication skills
- Confident using Excel and data base systems to record data
- A non-judgemental approach to care
- Good organisational and time management skills
- The ability to network with a range of organisations (public, private and voluntary)
- Good research and analytical skills
- tact and empathy
- respect for confidentiality.
What WDP can offer you
When you begin volunteering you will be allocated a supervisor who will act as your main point of contact in your WDP service. He/she will provide you with ongoing support and supervision and will work closely with you throughout your time at WDP. There is also a central volunteer services team that will support you while you are on placement. In addition, you can expect:
- A full induction to your role and continuous local training
- Access to central staff training opportunities
- Regular fortnightly individual clinical supervision
- Reimbursement of reasonable travel expenses and lunch expenses
We are looking for someone to support the team for 1 day per week – depending on the WDP project. We ask that volunteers try to commit for at least one year where possible.
How to apply
If you would like to apply for this role, please read the guidance notes on applying for volunteer roles and complete and return an application form with your CV.